Black Mouse Update 6-02-22 B

Two months between updates, and now two in one day!

I got the following reply just now to my query about the project progress and felled trees:

“The Wastewater Treatment project goes out to bid tomorrow (6/3). I do not anticipate a start date before mid-August. State Permits were delayed.

The trees were a major hazard. We had to get them down. We will be moving some of the debris in the coming weeks but we are swamped with year-end and graduation projects. Kids first.

I will work on getting a project site map to determine if the course would be playable during construction or at least where detours may be necessary.

Have you sent over an Agreement to Chris Schiermeyer laying out terms and conditions as discussed yet? Hours of operation, responsibilities for maintenance and clean-up, parking limitations, posted rules, liability insurance, etc.?”

I replied saying we would help with the debris IF it meant getting the course open sooner, before the project is completed.

I will work on drafting an agreement if that is required. If someone wants to help (depending on what is required) that’d be great.

The positive takeaway is that the path to reopening is still there. Let’s schedule a meeting in the near future to discuss. Thanks everyone!

Black Mouse Update 6-02-22

Hello, Black Mouse Faithful,

We’ve been stuck in a holding pattern for quite a while now, so there hasn’t been much to report since I was told we can start the reopening process when the leach field project is completed and signed off by the state. 

With school about to adjourn and one concerning new development, it seems like a good time to share.

The last time I received communication from the district superintendent or head of operations – a couple of months ago – the project was about to begin. Since then I’ve left multiple voicemails and sent multiple emails without a reply. I’m a little troubled by that. 

A couple of days ago I walked up there to look for project evidence and found none, but I did discover a number of firs cut down and littered across holes 1,2, 3, and 9. Luckily no damage to tees, benches, or sleeves that I could see, but all of those holes are majorly affected, playability-wise.

Behind Hole 3 tee
The old grandaddy Fir, just downhill from Hole 9 tee
Hole 1 tee area. The fairway also has several new very large trunks.

I just left more messages so we’ll see if I get a response. We may need to coordinate a show of solidarity and determination to get our course back. I think we should schedule a meeting and as a group determine a course of action.

To those who donated to the GoFundMe campaign, thanks again. Those funds remain untouched and safely in the hands of our club treasurer, Doug O’Dell.

Black Mouse Update 2-7-22

The wheels of progress grind on.

With tacit approvals in place, the main thing holding us back from a reopen date is the completion and approval of a leach field update project that is partially on/adjacent to the course. The district should have accepted a bid by now, and the work itself supposedly will not take long. Hopefully approval from the state will happen quickly as well.

As for the club, we’re doing our part by cleaning up all the debris that has accumulated from 1.5 years of disuse. Our first work day is Saturday Feb 12th at 10 AM. Show up by hole 1 with gloves and we’ll put you to work.

As soon as we have an idea of when the leach field project will wrap up, we’ll be ordered signage thanks to a very successful Go Fund Me campaign. Thanks to all who contributed.

If you do Facebook, join our group there to stay connected. We will try to keep the news up to date here as well. Thanks!

Black Mouse Update 12-21-21

Today’s big news is that I met a few days ago with the head of maintenance for SLVUSD, and we have received the OK to schedule work days to get our course in playable condition. We will nail down some days at the next SLVDGC club meeting, Wednesday, January 12th, 2022 at Redwood Pizza @ 6 PM. Dress warm as we will meet outside if at all possible.

After walking the course during our meeting, I learned a few other interesting things, and walked away encouraged that we might even be able to expand the course. Come to the meeting for details. On the flip side, after more than a year and a half of closure there is much work to do.

The timetable for reopening is pretty much what we were told a few months ago; repair work needs to be done to the leach fields, and after a delay with a red tape backup at the state level, the district received approval for its plan and have put the plan out for bids. Once that happens, the actual work should not take too long.

New Facebook group

I’m not big on regular social media communication, but others have promised to pick up the slack in this regard. We’ve created a new FB group:

Request to join the club page on Facebook, then come to a meeting and add your support to the actual club.

Black Mouse Update 10-4-21

Close to 30 people showed up for the first meeting of the embryonic SLV Disc Golf Club, and numerous others indicated they had a conflict that evening but planned to be active members of the club. A great start!

The next meeting will Wednesday, October 13th at 6 pm, once again at Redwood Pizza in Felton.

At the first meeting I reported that all of the baskets have been confirmed to be in storage on the SLV campus (my inventory count was complicated by the haphazard way in which they were stored). That’s good news as the superintendent had told me he thought someone might have picked up some of them, claiming ownership.

By a simple show of hands we elected our initial club officers: Myself as president, Jeff Duvernois as VP, and Doug O’Dell as Treasurer. We have a good person lined up for secretary and will make it official at the next meeting.

We discussed all the things the SLVDGC might be, from a corporation with non-profit status to the host organization of sanctioned events and fundraiser for the schools and other local charities. The possibilities are exciting, for sure, but our first objective (our sole objective until it is achieved) is to see Black Mouse restored and open for play.

To that end, we’ve launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise the money required to pay for the following:

  • Signage that clearly states school ground rules and the cost for violating those rules
  • Locks to secure the baskets to the basket sleeves, as the original locks were cut when the course was closed
  • Several sleeves that were damaged or torn out when the course was removed
  • One new basket

Once we’ve achieved our baseline goal of restoring and reopening the course, we’ll look at a club membership structure that makes the most sense, and explore additional goals. For now, though, we’ll keep our eyes on the prize and check the boxes that enable us to all enjoy Black Mouse once again. Stay tuned!